With great recollection, I had a fantastic Mother's Day. Lots of relaxation and time to enjoy my family. I remember feeling a bit guilty as Ragan took over so many of the duties that I let him take over that day. I went to bed that night feeling very blessed and just full of happiness.
Today, I would've loved nothing more than to give that back to him on this one special day for HIM. But, instead I was at church all afternoon decorating my room for VBS that starts tomorrow. Poor thing, I know. All he really wanted was to watch the US Open for a little while. In my defense, I did take Sawyer with me. Ragan was so wonderful, never complained a bit. I am not sure that if the tables were turned I would be so understanding.
On this very special day for fathers, I would also like to share a few things that I adore about MY dad.
I love that my dad is a very patient man. Even though farming is likely the most frustrating AND rewarding career choice for anyone who chooses it, ( or whom IT chooses) Dad has had many years of learning the art of patience and he tried very hard to teach us that as well.
My dad is so fun! No matter how bad I was hurting after a fall, Dad would always try to find a way to make me laugh. I can't tell you how mad that used to make me! Or make jokes as my sister and I were arguing about how many pieces of wood we had each carried to the basement. He has a great way of making light out of something that (a teenager especially) can be way to serious about. I love that he doesn't sweat the small stuff. I remember a long awaited and really fun trip to see some friends during a snow storm when all five of us piled into the truck and put it in 4 wheel drive for 3 hours sitting on top of each other. No one complained, because it was too much fun giggling.
My dad taught me not to panic. When something doesn't go my way, I can't just freak out. Now, that is not to say that I've never freaked out in reaction to something, but..... there was a specific situation during my college days that forced me to make some serious changes in my attitude toward my future. Dad looked at the situation as soon as it was handed to him, and helped me analyze it. He taught me to really look at myself and see me for my worths and not my mistakes. I can't tell you how powerful recalling that specific conversation has been to me.
I love my dad for living so strongly. He makes no apologies for living for God and being the same guy at his "office" (the local vet's office) as he does at home or church. That is real and authentic. I love that about him!
I think as an adult, I love all of these things and so much more because, I chose to marry an incredible man who is a great husband and father, just as my example showed me it could be. I'm so grateful!
Thanks, Dad. I love you!
No words necessary!
15 years ago




0 comments:
Post a Comment